The Math Place is a free tutorial service provided to students currently enrolled in Northwestern University's School of Professional Studies courses or in other Northwestern University courses. Students of all levels can benefit from the individual tutoring provided from this service, whether they are taking undergraduate or graduate level courses.
The Math Place will resume appointments
The Math Place hosts appointments on the Chicago Campus (in room 232 of the Schaffner Library) and online via Skype.
Fall Quarter Appointments will be offered in-person or online via Skype at Schaffner LIbrary, Room 232.
During the regular academic year, the Math Place Tutor hold appointments in The Math Place office, which is located in the Joseph Schaffner Library on the second floor of Wieboldt Hall. The Math Place is open Monday through Thursday and on Sundays (Fall - Spring Quarters) and Tuesday through Thursday (Summer Quarter). The Math Place offers both in-person and online appointments via Skype; please email the Math Place if you need additional information or have difficulty scheduling an appointment.
- Visit the Math Place's appointment page (If you are not already logged into your u.northwestern.edu account, you will be prompted by Google for your login information. Please use your "u.northwestern.edu" (google-based) account to book appointments with the Math Place.
Once logged in, you will see a calendar showing the available appointments. Summer Quarter Math Place appointments are 1-hour long. Appointments are on the Chicago campus on Tuesdays and Thursdays and in Evanston on Wednesdays. (During the regular academic year, Math Place appointments are offered Monday - Thursday at 3pm, 4pm and 5pm and on Sundays at 1pm, 2pm and 3pm.) When you schedule an appointment, you will also see your own Google calendar overlaid on this appointment page, making it easy to see what times work for you.
- Click one of the available appointment buttons and click Save. (Please indicate if the appointment will be via Skype in the "description" field and list your Skype name.)
Appointments that have been booked will not be visible to future visitors to the appointment page.
To cancel an appointment:
- Delete or decline the appointment on your own Google calendar, which will then appear as a decline on the Math Place calendar. The appointment then becomes bookable for future visitors to the Math Place appointment page.
Walk-in consultations are permitted, providing the tutor is available and unscheduled. Students are limited to one individual scheduled conference per day and two scheduled conferences per week.
Preparing for a Math Place Appointment
Math Place appointments are most productive when the student seeks help on a specific assignment or subject. If a student is seeking help with a homework assignment, the session will be most productive if the homework is attempted prior to seeing the tutor.
Students should bring with them all materials relevant to their specific goal for the session, such as the course syllabus, class notes, hand-outs, assignment sheets, or workbooks.
Appointments must be scheduled in advance via the SPS Math Place's Google Appointment Calendar.
- Course Title
- A short description of the assignment
- Your specific goals and questions
- If via Skype - please list Skype name
Math tutoring is also available on the Evanston Campus at the Math Room, located in the Main Library: