Most items in the Art Collection circulate to faculty, students, and staff of Northwestern University. A self-check station is located at the Art Collection service desk for patrons' convenience.
Materials that do not circulate include:
- serials (journals and periodicals)
- multi-volume sets
- catalogues raisonnés (catalogues of an artist’s entire body of work)
- reference books (marked ART REF)
- folio-sized books (35 cm and larger, marked F before the call number)
- large photography books (call numbers L770-L779)
- other materials too old, fragile, valuable, or heavily used to leave the library
Two copiers and scanning stations, as well as a hold shelf are available for patrons who choose not to take materials out of the library.
All books must be returned at the Main Circulation desk, or at one of the book drops available outside of the Library's main entrance and in the parking lot adjacent to Louis Hall. Overdue fines may apply if books are returned to the Art Collection.
Loan periods and overdue fines are the same as for books in the Main Library. However, replacement fees for damage or loss may be higher because of the difficulty in replacing many Art books. Please take precautions against damage—protect books from moisture, do not place adhesive markers (Post-It Notes) on pages, do not dog-ear pages, and keep books away from food, beverages, pets, and art supplies.