Most books in the Art Collection circulate to faculty, students, and staff of Northwestern University.
Materials that do not circulate include:
- serials (journals and periodicals)
- multi-volume sets
- catalogues raisonnés (catalogues of an artist’s entire body of work)
- reference books (marked ART REF)
- folio-sized books (35 cm and larger, marked F before the call number)
- large photography books (call numbers L770-L779)
- other materials too old, fragile, valuable, or heavily used to leave the library
Two copiers, a scanning station, and a hold-shelf are available for patrons who choose not to take Art books out of the library.
Circulating books may be checked out at self-check stations or at the Main Circulation Desk. All books must be returned to the Main Library Circulation Desk. Please do not return Art books to the Art Desk—if books are not discharged, overdue fines will apply.
Loan periods and overdue fines are the same as for books in the Main Library. However, replacement fees for damage or loss may be higher because of the difficulty in replacing many Art books. Therefore, please take precautions against damage—protect books from moisture, do not place adhesive markers on pages, and keep books away from food, beverages, pets, and art supplies.