Seeley G. Mudd Library Services
The Mudd Library staff provides patron with all services related to materials located in the Mudd Library, including charge/discharge items, fines/fees, renewals, etc. Detailed library procedures and policies as well as borrower responsibilities are available from the Main Library Circulation Department.
- Fines and Fees
- Lost Status Items
- Overdue Notice
- Lost Item Replacement Fees
- Guidelines on Purchasing Replacement Copy
- Storage Cabinet Policies & Regulations
Mudd Library does not charge daily overdue fines on normal loan items checked out from NU Libraries. Overdue fines are assessed on recalled books or books that are on reserve for a class. The fine rates for recalled or reserve books are as follows:
- Recalled items: $1.00 per day
- Reserve items:
- 2-hour items: $1.00 per hour
- 1-day items: $5.00 per day
- 3-day items: $1.50 per day
If a recalled or reserve book is not returned within 7 days of the due date, a fine of $30 will be charged in additional to the lost replacement fee and a non-refundable $10.00 processing fee .
Overdue fines will apply at all times, including over holidays, vacations, and intersessions. Patrons are responsible for keeping track of their due dates, which can easily be accomplished by logging into “My Account” on NUCat.
Unpaid bills and fines are reported to the Student Accounts Office at least twice a year. Bills sent to Student Accounts include an additional $10.00 reporting charge.
Regular loan items that are not returned or renewed within 29 days after their due date and recall or reserve items that are not returned within 7 days after their due date are automatically marked with “Lost” status by the library system. A lost replacement fee and a non-refundable $10.00 processing fee will be automatically assessed for every book marked with "Lost" status. Lost replacement fees will be waived for “Lost” books returned within 60 days, but the processing fees will not be waived.
An overdue notice is automatically generated and sent out by e-mail or mail the first day an item becomes overdue. Additional notices are generated weekly until the item is considered “lost" by the library system.
Overdue notices are sent out as a courtesy to all borrowers, but borrowers are liable for fines and fees whether or not an overdue notice has been received. If you are not receiving overdue notices, please contact the Service Desk to verify your e-mail or mailing address.
A non-refundable processing fee of $10 and a replacement fee will be charged for each book with "Lost" status. The replacement fee for a lost Mudd Library book is either $125 or the actual cost of the book, whichever is more. The replacement fee, however, is waived if the patron returns the book or provides the library a replacement copy of the book within 60 days, but the processing fees will not be waived.
The ISBN of the replacement copy needs to match the ISBN of the lost book. The replacement copy of the book needs to be in at least "Like New" condition for books published within 10 years or "Very Good" condition for books published more than 10 years ago. The condition guidelines can be found at Amazon.com. The replacement copy will not be accepted if it does not meet the condition guidelines. Ex-library copies or books with any kind of marking outside or heavy highlighting inside will not be accepted.
Cabinet Checkout Policy
- Cabinets may only be checked out by Northwestern University students.
- Cabinet checkout is made on a first come, first served basis with one cabinet per student.
- The initial usage period is 3 months and cabinets may be renewed in person, if there is no one on the waiting list.
- If the cabinet is not renewed by the expiration date, the cabinet must be emptied and the key must be returned within two weeks. Unattended and expired cabinets will be emptied by the library staff and contents of the cabinet will be placed in the library’s Lost & Found.
- A $25.00 lost replacement fee and and a non-refundable $10.00 processing fee will be added on the cabinet holder’s library account if the cabinet key is not returned within two weeks of the due date. The lost replacement fee, however, is waived when the the cabinet key is returned.
Regulations Governing the Use of Cabinets
- No uncharged or overdue library materials may be kept in the cabinets.
- No food, drink, or other perishable materials may be kept in the cabinets.
- No gym clothing or shoes may be kept in the cabinets.
- Any materials prohibited by NU policies or federal or state law must not be stored in the cabinets.
- Periodic routine checks are made to the cabinets.
- A violation will result in immediate cancelation of the assigned cabinet and the cabinet holder will be notified to return the key and empty the cabinet within one week.