SPSC Information Literacy Resources
This page was created by the Transportation Library for students and instructors of the Northwestern University Center For Public Safety's School of Police Staff and Command.
Schedule of current and upcoming SPSC classes
SPSC Information Literacy Class Outline:
- Times are approximate and vary according to each instructional situation.
- Introduction: Review of handouts; goals of class, etc. (10 mins)
- Power Point Presentation-Information Literacy (on-going throughout the class).
- Introduction to concept of Information Literacy (10 mins).
- Demonstration of NUcat (10 mins) - Searching the catalog of the Northwestern University Libraries.
- Demonstration of TRAN (10 mins) - Searching for articles indexed in TRANweb
- Demonstration of NCJRS (10mins) - Connecting to and searching the NCJRS document database.
- Break (10 mins)
- Review and demonstration of Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice e-resources (60 minutes).
- Break (10 mins)
- Locating Materials Locally (30 mins) - How to find research materials in local libraries and order materials from the Transportation Library (Offsite classes only).
- Evaluating information.(10-15 mins)
- Search Strategy exercise (30-40mins, depending on size of class)
- Library Tour, after class, is optional (20 mins).
- Library Orientation (How to write a research paper) (Power Point presentation)
- Information Literacy (Power Point presentation)
- You must have Microsoft Power Point version 97 or higher installed on your machine to view these slide shows.
Reference Service For Currently Enrolled SPSC students only:
Contact Kay Geary, Reference Librarian for the Transportation Library of Northwestern University for reference assistance, at:
Links to Library Resources
- NU Transportation Library -- home page
- Law Enforcement & Criminal Justice Subject Guide -- electronic databases
- NUsearch -- The online catalog of the Northwestern University Libraries, including the Transportation Library.
- NUTran -- An index of articles in the Transportation Library's periodicals collection, covering law enforcement, as well as searching limited to Transportation Library's materials within NUsearch.
- NCJRS Document Database -- A Web-accessible database containing summaries of criminal justice literature, government reports, journal articles, books, and more.