June: Adopt-A-Shelter Cat Month
To help promote adoptions of these fun, affectionate animals, join millions of pet-owners to celebrate Adopt-A-Cat Month each June.
- In 2006, nearly half of pet owners, or 49.7%, considered their pets to be family members.
- There are more than 72 million pet dogs in the U.S. and nearly 82 million pet cats.
- The average veterinary expenditure per household for all pets was $366 in 2006.
|Percent of households owning||37.2%||32.4%||3.9%||1.8%|
|Number of households owning||43,021,000||37,460,000||4,453,000||2,087,000|
|Average number owned per household||1.7||2.2||2.5||3.5|
|Total number in United States||72,114,000||81,721,000||11,199,000||7,295,000|
|Veterinary visits per household per year (mean)||2.6||1.7||0.3||2.2|
|Veterinary expenditure per household per year (mean)||$356||$190||$25||$360|
|Veterinary expenditure per animal (mean)||$200||$81||$9||$92|
- For more information on how you can help, please visit Safe Heaven for Cats or the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
- For No Kill Animal Shelter Directory, please click here.