How To Apply For a Social Security Card - F-1 and J-1 Students

Printer-friendly versionSend by email

To Apply, follow these steps outlined below:

  1. Obtain a Job Offer Letter from your employer (NU office/department you are working in) that contains the following information: Employer identification number (EIN), name of employer, position title, start date, number of hours/week, supervisor's name and contact phone number and an original signature.
  2. Using the job offer letter, request a Social Security Letter from the International Office through their document request system.  Make sure to use the exact information from the Job Offer Letter to request the Social Security Letter to ensure that the two letters match.
  3. Bring the following documents to the Social Security Office

               -Original Job Offer Letter written buy your employer

               -Social Security Letter written by the International Office

               -Original I-20 or DS-2019


               -I-94 card (the little white card in your passport)

               -Social Security Application

Once your application for a Social Security Number has been approved by the Social Security Administration (SSA), the SSA will send a Social Security card to the address you provided on your application form. The usual processing time is two weeks. If additional security procedures are necessary, processing times may range from 4-8 week.

Important Information

International Office Address


From Northwestern University International Office updated 10/2010