The mission of the Electronic Resources and Collection Analysis Department (ERaCA) is to:
- acquire and license online resources as selected by the subject specialists for the collections
- establish and maintain seamless access to online content
- initiate and fulfill requests for collection analysis
- support collection budget management.
Within these broad goals of the mission, there are countless tasks to achieve them.
Acquisitions of electronic resources includes: (see New E-Resources at Northwestern )
- licensing of the content
- building lists of titles already subscribed to for a single publisher
- getting the publisher paid for uninterrupted ongoing access.
Managing access to content involves:
- setting up the initial link
- taking care of broken links
- tracking down rights to content in backfiles, as well as titles sold from one publisher to another, or just migrated from one delivery platform to another
- access through article linking and federated search software
- some cataloging work.
Collection analysis and planning:
- evaluates collections from many viewpoints
- drills into data that helps describe the Library’s collections and the use of them
- enhances and maintains the Collection Assessment: Data & Methods Bank
Collection budget management support:
- interfaces with collection analysis for all of the collections
- will aid subject specialists with evaluation of and decision-making on existing collections and those under consideration for acquisition.