DATA AND METHODS BANK
The Map of NU Library Collections to NU Academic Departments can be used to:
- Analyze collections in a consistent and systematic manner.
- Calculate the amount of support the library provides to academic units—not in the old terms of funds spent, but in new terms of resources purchased.
- Align resources to the needs of the NU community.
- Discover what is not being systematically collected.
- Fully account for interdisciplinary subjects and resources. This map contains overlap, which means that the same call number may appear under more than one subject, thereby guaranteeing that interdisciplinary subjects and resources are completely represented.
- Assist selectors by providing the widest range possible of call numbers to use to search vendor databases such as GOBI and OttoEditions .
- Quickly advance the process of familiarizing selectors, who have new subject responsibilities, with a new field of study.
- Create services based on call numbers such as Browse Online or On Foot .
- Enhance outreach and resource usage by offering canned searches such as those based on subject-headings identified via call numbers, e.g., Cyber Terrorism .