What is the selection process?
- To broaden the personnel decision-making process, NUL has adopted a consultative model of selection for librarian recruitments.
- The key element in the selection process is the search committee. It provides for a broad range of opinion and objective consideration of applicants' qualifications, as well as participation by interested constituencies within the Library and the Northwestern University community.
- Finalists recommended by the search committee are usually invited for an in-person interview, which provides candidates with the opportunity to meet and interact with a variety of library staff and gives the candidate a clearer view of the institution.
- Librarian appointments are made by the University Librarian, based on the recommendations of the search committee, the supervisor of the position and others.
- These appointments are subject to approval by the Provost.
What happens when my resume/curriculum vitae is received?
- An acknowledgement letter is e-mailed.
- An Equal Employment Opportunity electronic form is e-mailed.
- An interview is scheduled once a selection has been made by the Search Committee.
- Applicants not chosen for the position are notified.
There are two categories of Non-Librarian:
- Exempt Staff: Employees whose responsibilities are primarily executive, managerial, or administrative, or whose positions require an advanced educational degree or knowledge and experience in a field considered professional. These positions are paid monthly and are exempt from the overtime requirements of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) that mandate overtime pay for time worked in excess of 40 hours per week.
- Non-Exempt Staff: Employees holding positions in support activities. Employees in these jobs are not exempt from the Federal labor Standards Act (FLSA) overtime provisions and they are paid by the hours and are paid 1½ times their regular pay rate for hours worked in excess of 40 in a week. (Source: NUHR Staff Handbook )
What happens when my application is received?
- An electronic e-mail response is submitted by the Human Resources department.
- When a candidate has been selected by the hiring department for an interview an e-mail will be submitted by the Library HR Office.
How will I know if I've been selected an interview?
- Selections are done by the hiring department. Once the selection has been made, an e-mail is sent by the hiring supervisor or the Library HR Office.