Planning Your Visit | Library Access and Facilities | Travel | Parking | Accommodations | Necessities | Contacts and Location
Northwestern University Library’s Special Libraries Division includes the Melville J. Herskovits Library of African Studies , the Art Library , the Music Library , the Charles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections , the Transportation Library , and University Archives . These departments maintain and provide access to extensive research collections. Hours and policies may differ from those of the main University Library. Please visit a department’s webpage, or contact that department for more information.
- To make the most efficient use of your time, please consult with library staff regarding your research needs, and make an appointment prior to visiting campus. Some materials are stored offsite and require extra time for retrieval.
- Resources listed online may be found in the Archives and Manuscripts Collections Portal or in NUcat , the Library's catalog. In addition, Special Libraries often have additional finding aids or resource lists not available electronically. Contact individual departments for more information.
- Photocopying, scanning, and photography are allowed for research purposes under U.S. Copyright Law , Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107, regarding Fair Use. More information is available here . Photocopiers and scanners are available in each Special Libraries department. Advance requests for reproductions may be submitted here . Note: processing may take up to 6 weeks.
- Laptop computers are allowed. Wireless network access is available.
- Pens, food, and drink are not allowed when consulting Special Libraries resources.
Library Access and Facilities
- A photo ID is required to enter Northwestern University Library.
- Hours of Special Libraries departments may differ from the main University Library’s . More information is available on departments’ individual webpages.
- See the section on Planning Your Visit for general policies regarding the use of Special Libraries collections. Individual departments may have additional guidelines.
- Library building maps may be found here .
- Information on access for users with disabilities, and general library access, use, and security information may be found here .
- Information regarding air travel and directions to campus from airports may be found here . Both O’Hare (northwest of Chicago) and Midway (on the south side of Chicago) International Airports service international and domestic flights.
- Driving directions are available here .
- CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) public transportation information is available here .
- Information on Metra commuter trains to campus is available here .
- Local taxi companies (Please note: the vendors listed here are not contracted or officially endorsed by Northwestern University or Northwestern University Library. Listings are for information and convenience.)
- Interactive Evanston campus map
- Printable campus map
- Parking on campus requires a temporary permit. More information may be found here .
- Daily (same day) parking permits are available for purchase at an automated kiosk (credit card sales only) on the north end of campus (on LARC Drive #108), between the Sports and Aquatic Center and the Frances Searle building.
- Evanston Campus parking map
- Evanston parking garages (Chicago and Clark is the nearest)
- Evanston street parking is free near campus, but only in 2-3 hour increments, with a strictly-enforced ticketing policy. See the campus and parking maps above for more information.
Accommodations (Please note: the vendors listed here are not contracted or officially endorsed by Northwestern University or Northwestern University Library. Listings are for information and convenience. You may wish to inquire with each, regarding special rates for Northwestern visitors.)
Ask Special Libraries staff about the many off-campus dining options Evanston offers. (Please note: the vendors listed here are not contracted or officially endorsed by Northwestern University or Northwestern University Library. Listings are for information and convenience.)
- Art Library , located on the third floor of Deering Library
- Music Library , located on the second (main) floor of Deering Library
For questions, comments, suggestions, or corrections to the information above, please contact the Special Libraries Division Office: firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (847) 467 5675