Research Assistant Proxy Borrowing

Printer-friendly versionSend by email

Northwestern WildCARDs and library cards are non-transferable. Faculty members may not loan their WildCARD to students, staff or others for charging materials. Northwestern students and staff should not use their WildCARDs to borrow books for faculty members.

A research assistant may be assigned proxy borrowing privileges on behalf of a faculty or staff member, or any library patron with a disability. To have proxy borrowing privileges assigned, the research assistant must bring an RA Authorization Form that has been filled out and signed by the patron for whom they are doing research. You may request a paper form at the Circulation desk, or Download the Research Assistant Form as a PDF file, which you can fill out electronically and then print out. The faculty member's signature must be written by hand.

Items checked out through the proxy borrowing system are charged to the faculty member's library account. A note is automatically placed in the item record in the library system stating which research assistant checked out the item for the faculty member, but the items themselves do not show up on the research assistant's account. All notices concerning items borrowed by proxy will be sent directly to the faculty member. Questions about items checked out by proxy may be directed to the lending library.

Research Assistants who already have a WildCARD will have the proxy borrowing option added to that card, while those who do not have borrowing privileges on their own will be issued cards with proxy-only privileges. If a proxy-only borrowing card is lost, the loss must be reported to the Main Circulation Desk immediately. The faculty member is responsible for all materials charged on the card until it is reported lost, at which point the lost card will be blocked to prevent fraudulent use.

If for any reason the authorization for a research assistant's proxy borrowing privilege is terminated before the date specified, please notify the Main Circulation Desk at (847) 491-7633.