Study Carrel Reservations
The Library maintains a number of closed rooms and open desks as assigned study carrels. Carrels are assigned to allow books to be charged to a desk within the library for an extended period. Library study carrels are reserved primarily for graduate students and faculty.
Current faculty and PhD candidates may apply for closed room carrels. Faculty carrels are single occupancy; PHD candidate carrels are shared, with two people assigned to each carrel. Open desk study carrels are available to any graduate student or faculty member. Honors undergraduates currently writing a thesis may apply for an open desk study carrel only, on a space available basis, with a letter of request from their department or advisor.
The demand for PHD closed room study carrels far exceeds supply, and waiting lists are maintained through the Main Library Circulation Desk. The average wait for a PHD closed room study carrel is 8 months, but actual time may vary. Graduate students must already be admitted to candidacy before they may be placed on the waiting list for a closed room study carrel.
To apply for a carrel, please complete and submit the carrel application.
Honors undergraduates and PHD candidates may submit letters verifying their status in person or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please read our carrel use policies before submitting your application:
Storage of Library Materials:
- All materials at open carrels must be properly charged to that carrel. A charge slip must accompany any material kept in the carrel. Closed carrel holders may store books checked out to their personal account and personal copies in their carrel. Uncharged materials should never be kept in carrels and will be removed if found during regular carrel checks.
- Materials charged to carrels may not be removed from the library. Patrons who wish to take materials charged to their carrel from the library must switch the items to their personal account at the Circulation Desk or a Self-Check Station.
- Materials may be needed elsewhere for a brief period of use within the library. If materials are removed for one of these reasons a note of explanation will be left in the carrel. Materials will normally be returned within twenty-four hours.
Regulations for the use of study carrels:
- Assignments normally cover the academic year. In any case, all assignments must be renewed yearly by June 15. Failure to renew by this date may lead to termination of carrel occupancy.
- Carrels are for reading and research only and are not intended to provide office or conference space. Studies are not soundproof and therefore should not be used for long conversations.
- Keys for closed carrels will be issued upon receipt of a deposit of $25.00.
- No furniture or equipment is to be moved from or introduced into a study, except by arrangement with the Circulation Desk. Heating and cooling ducts must not be covered.
- Damage to furniture or equipment and necessary repairs or replacements should be reported immediately to the library privileges office.
- Smoking is not allowed anywhere in the library. Food and beverages are allowed only in the faculty and student lounges.
- The University Library cannot guarantee the security of personal belongings in any study space.