NU Alumni Privileges
Alumni with a Northwestern University Degree
Alumni holding a Bachelors, Masters, or Doctorate degree from Northwestern University may enter the library at any time it is open by presenting an Alumni Association Card. Alumni Association Cards are issued from the John Evans Alumni Center. Please contact the center directly for more details.
Alumni Association Cards do not confer borrowing privileges. To obtain an Alumni Borrower’s Card, valid for one year, visit the Circulation Desk on the first floor of the Main Library. Borrowing cards for Alumni are also issued at the Schaffner Library Circulation Desk on the Chicago campus.
In order rto obtain a card you will need to provide:
- Alumni Association Card (or a Circulation staff member may obtain degree verification directly from the Alumni Office);
- one piece of ID with a Chicago metropolitan area address; and
- $25 (cash, check, or MC/VISA/AMEX) for one year of borrowing privileges
Please note that borrowing cards are issued at the Main Library Monday- Friday between the hours of 8:30am-5:00pm. Card services may also be available at other times, please contact the Circulation Desk at 847-491-7633 or firstname.lastname@example.org in order to make arrangements.
Individuals Who Attended Northwestern University
Individuals who have attended Northwestern University and completed at least one year (12 units) of study may enter the library during all open hours by presenting an Alumni Association Card.
To obtain a Borrower’s Card, valid for three months, visit the Circulation Desk on the first floor of the Main Library, where you will need to show:
- Alumni Association Card (Library Privileges cannot verify non-degree holding students without this card);
- one piece of ID with a current Chicago metropolitan area address; and
- $50.00 (cash, check, or MC/VISA/AMEX) for 3 months of borrowing privileges.
A Note about Remote Access to Online Databases
Borrower's cards do not grant patrons access to NU Library's online databases, which require the use of a NetID. NUIT assigns NetIDs only to current NU students, faculty, and staff members. Any library guest can request a free temporary NetID (or "day pass") for use on the premises (see the Guest NetIDs page for where to request one), but we are unable to provide permanent or remote access to online resources.