Reading Room & Listening Center Lab
The Music Library collections and services are available in the Reading Room and in the Listening Center Lab. Both are located on the 2nd floor of Deering Library.
Visit the Music Library's Reading Room for the following services and equipment:
- Access the Music Library's score collection, bound and current periodicals and reference collection.
- Use 3 PC workstations, 2 Mac workstations with music software, and an online catalog terminal.
- Visit the reference desk for expert help most afternoons, weeknights and weekends.
Listening Center Lab
Located across the lobby from the Music Library Reading Room, the Listening Center Lab contains, in closed stacks, all of the Music Library's nearly 40,000 CDs. The LP collection is currently in storage and may be retrieved by placing a request in NUsearch. Library users may listen to sound recordings in-house, and CDs are allowed to be checked out for a period of one week. Please ask for CDs at the service desk in the Music Library Reading Room.
In addition to a listening center, the lab is also a multi-purpose music-computing environment designed as a workplace for beginning to mid-level music technology projects. Each computer contains an array of software for sequencing, digital audio, notation, computer-aided-instruction and multimedia production.
- 5 Apple iMac computers (2.8 GHz, 8GB ram, 1 TB HD, CD-RW/DVD±RW)
- 4 Dell Optiplex 790 computers (3.1 GHz, 4GB ram, 232 GB HD, CD-RW/DVD-RW)
- 11 M-Audio KeyStudio 49i USB Audio/MIDI keyboard controllers
- 1 HP Scanjet 8200 high resolution scanner
- 1 HP Scanjet 8300 highe resolution scanner
- 1 HP Laserjet 5200dtn printer
To see a list of software currently available, or learn how to begin using the notation, sequencing, recording and scanning software, please consult the Music Lab Guide.
For questions or help in using the Music Lab, contact the Music Library at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-491-3434.