The Math Place
The Math Place is a free tutorial service provided to students currently enrolled in Northwestern University's School of Professional Studies courses or in other Northwestern University courses. Students of all levels can benefit from the individual tutoring provided from this service, whether they are taking undergraduate or graduate level courses.
The Math Place hosts appointments in The Math Place office, located in Room 232 in Schaffner Library on the second floor of Wieboldt Hall.
During the regular academic year, The Math Place offers both in-person and online appointments via Skype at the following times:
- Monday - Thursday afternoons
- Saturdays and Sundays
Summer hours may vary. See calendar for information.
Walk-in consultations are permitted, providing the tutor is available and unscheduled. You are limited to one individual scheduled conference per day and two scheduled conferences per week. If you need to contact a math tutor outside of these appointment times, please email email@example.com.
- Use your "u.northwestern.edu" (Google-based) account to book appointments with the Math Place.
- Once logged in, you will see a calendar showing the available appointments. During the academic year, Math Place appointments are 1-hour long.
- When you schedule an appointment, you will also see your own Google calendar overlaid on this appointment page, making it easy to see what times work for you.
- Click one of the available appointment buttons and click Save. Appointments that have been booked will not be visible to future visitors to the appointment page.
- Please indicate if the appointment will be via Skype in the "description" field and list your Skype name.
To cancel an appointment:
- Delete or decline the appointment on your own Google calendar, which will then appear as a decline on the Math Place calendar. The appointment then becomes bookable for future visitors to the Math Place appointment page.
Preparing for a Math Place appointment
Math Place appointments are most productive when you seek help on a specific assignment or subject. If you are seeking help with a homework assignment, attempt the homework prior to seeing the tutor.
Bring all materials relevant to your specific goal for the session, such as the course syllabus, class notes, hand-outs, assignment sheets or workbooks.
If possible, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details before the appointment time:
- Course Title
- A short description of the assignment
- Your specific goals and questions
- If via Skype - please list Skype name