University of Chicago Borrowers
Current students and full-time faculty and staff from University of Chicago (who have borrowing privileges at U of C libraries) are eligible for borrowing privileges at many Northwestern Libraries. This agreement does not include privileges at Northwestern's Galter Health Sciences Library, Pritzker Legal Research Center, Schaffner Library or United Library.
Note that this arrangement does not apply to proxies (authorized borrowers); alumni; retired faculty (except emeritus faculty); visiting scholars; children and/or spouses or domestic partners of faculty, staff or students; Library Society members; Crerar corporate members; Lab School students or fee borrowers.
- Loan period: 16-week loan period for most books, with a guaranteed 10-day minimum loan for recalled items. DVDs and videos from the Mitchell Multimedia Center can be borrowed for 7 days. Transportation Library material can be borrowed for 4 weeks.
- Renewals: Items can be renewed three times, either in person or via NUsearch, the online library catalog system. After the third remote renewal, books must be brought in to start a new loan.
- Returns: Return books directly to Northwestern library or any University of Chicago library. Note that items returned to U of C will not be checked in until they reach Northwestern's library, so plan accordingly by assuming a 7-day transit time. You will be held responsible for any book returned in this manner, including any fines at accrue while in transit, until it is checked in at Northwestern.
- Fines, fees and penalties: Northwestern does not charge daily fines on regular loan books, but there is a $1 fine per day for overdue recalled items. Fines on overdue reserve items are charged at $1 per hour for books on 2-hour or 4-hour reserve; $5 per hour for books on 1-day reserve; and $1.50 per day for books on 3-day reserve. If an item becomes 30 days overdue, it is considered "lost," and a $50-$125 replacement charge and $10 processing fee are applied, and the patron record is blocked from further transactions. University of Chicago borrowing privileges are also blocked until the material is returned.
Obtain a borrower's card
Obtain a card immediately or have a card sent to Northwestern's University Library:
- To receive a card immediately, bring your University of Chicago ID to the circulation desk at the University Library during open hours. You will be asked to fill out paperwork, and staff will call the Regenstein Library's Privileges Office to verify your status. Your card will be issued on the spot.
- To have your card sent to the Regenstein Library's Privileges Office, complete the online Application for Borrowing Privileges. (The form can also be completed in person at the Privileges Office.) The library card will be available to be picked up from the Privileges Office approximately seven days after the initial form request, or the library card will be mailed to you, depending on your preference.
The card expires on June 15 of the academic year. Cards may be renewed annually upon verification of current U of C status and as long as your library accounts at both institutions are in good standing.
Contact our Circulation Desk at 847-491-7633.