Music Circulation

Printer-friendly versionSend by email

Patrons wishing to borrow materials must have a valid Northwestern University identification card (WildCard) or obtain a Borrower's Card. See the Northwestern University Library's circulation policies for more information.

Most materials are lent under the following terms:

  • NU undergraduate students: 12 weeks
  • NU faculty and graduate students: academic year
  • Guests: 4 weeks

Exceptions: Some materials are limited to use in the library or are available to faculty and grad students only for an abbreviated lending period. Such restrictions are listed below:

Type of Material
Undergraduates,Staff, & Guests
Faculty & Graduate Students
Reference Books Library Use Only Library Use Only
Monument Scores & Collected Editions (M2s & M3s) Library Use Only Up to 3 Days
CDs and LPs (phonodiscs)* 7 days, 1 renewal 7 days, 4 renewals
NU Performance Recordings Library Use Only Library Use Only
Rare Materials, Manuscripts & Specail Collections Library Use Library Use; By Appointment

*The LP collection is located in on-campus storeage, and must be requested in NUSearch for use. See below.

Music Materials in Remote Storage:

A very limited amount of printed music and music books are held in the Oak Grove Library Center (OGLC). All phonodisc (LP) sound recordings are located in on-campus storeage. Materials housed in the OGLC or on campus storage may be requested using the following online forms:

Request a book, socre or sound recording

Request a scan of an article or book chapter


Sound Recordings Circulation Policy

The majority of the CD  and LP collection is available to circulate to the Northwestern community. Some individual sets will remain "room use only."

Please note:

  • Sound recordings should be returned to the Music Library Listening Center. Please refrain from using the drop boxes as the materials can be irreparably damaged.
  • Sound recordings will not be loaned via ILL at this time.
  • Archival recordings of NU performances are not included in this policy and remain room use only. You may request a reporduction of NU performance recordings for a nominal fee