Patrons wishing to borrow materials must have a valid Northwestern University identification card (WildCard) or obtain a Borrower's Card. See the Northwestern University Library's circulation policies for more information.
Most materials are lent under the following terms:
- NU undergraduate students: 12 weeks
- NU faculty and graduate students: academic year
- Guests: 4 weeks
Exceptions: Some materials are limited to use in the library or are available to faculty and grad students only for an abbreviated lending period. Such restrictions are listed below:
Type of Material
Undergraduates,Staff, & Guests
Faculty & Graduate Students
|Reference Books||Library Use Only||Library Use Only|
|Monument Scores & Collected Editions (M2s & M3s)||Library Use Only||Up to 3 Days|
|CDs and LPs (phonodiscs)*||7 days, 1 renewal||7 days, 4 renewals|
|NU Performance Recordings||Library Use Only||Library Use Only|
|Rare Materials, Manuscripts & Specail Collections||Library Use||Library Use; By Appointment|
*The LP collection is located in on-campus storeage, and must be requested in NUSearch for use. See below.
Music Materials in Remote Storage:
A very limited amount of printed music and music books are held in the Oak Grove Library Center (OGLC). All phonodisc (LP) sound recordings are located in on-campus storeage. Materials housed in the OGLC or on campus storage may be requested using the following online forms:
The majority of the CD and LP collection is available to circulate to the Northwestern community. Some individual sets will remain "room use only."
- Sound recordings should be returned to the Music Library Listening Center. Please refrain from using the drop boxes as the materials can be irreparably damaged.
- Sound recordings will not be loaned via ILL at this time.
- Archival recordings of NU performances are not included in this policy and remain room use only. You may request a reporduction of NU performance recordings for a nominal fee