Patrons wishing to borrow materials must have a valid Northwestern University identification card (WildCard) or obtain a Borrower's Card. See the Northwestern University Library's circulation policies for more information.
Most materials are lent under the following terms:
- NU students and staff: 12 weeks
- NU faculty: 1 year
- Guests: 4 weeks
Exceptions: Some materials are limited to use in the library or are available to faculty only for an abbreviated lending period. Such restrictions are listed below:
Type of Material
Undergraduates, Graduate Students, Staff, & Guests
|Reference Books||Library Use Only||Library Use Only|
|Monument Scores & Collected Editions (M2s & M3s)||Library Use Only||Up to 3 Days|
Sound Recordings* (CDs only)
Students & Staff: 14 days
|NU Performance Recordings||Library Use Only||Library Use Only|
|Rare Materials, Manuscripts, & Special Collections||Library Use Only; By Appointment||Library Use Only; By Appointment|
* LPs circulate to faculty only for 14 days
Music Materials in Remote Storage:
At present, a very limited amount of music is now held in the Oak Grove Library Center (OGLC). Materials housed in the OGLC may be requested using the following online forms:
The majority of the CD collection is available to circulate to the Northwestern community. Some individual CDs and CD sets will remain "room use only."
- For Students:
Up to 5 CDs may be checked-out for a loan period of 2 weeks. Overdue items will be charged a $10 fee, and lost items will be assessed and additional $50 fine. Courtesy notices will be sent 2 days prior to the charge due date. Sorry, no renewals.
- For Faculty:
Up to 10 CDs may be checked-out for a loan period of 2 weeks. CDs are available for delivery to faculty offices.
- For alumni and community members:
At this time, CDs will NOT circulate to alumni or members of the non-NU community, with exceptions made for those belonging to an institution with which NU maintains a formal reciprocal borrowing agreement.
- CDs should be returned to the Music Library Listening Center. Please refrain from using the drop boxes as CDs can be irreparably damaged.
- CDs will not be loaned via ILL at this time.
- Archival recordings of NU performances are not included in this policy and remain room use only
- LPs and other sound recording formats are not included in this policy, and remain room use only (faculty may continue to charge out LPs)