Patrons wishing to borrow materials must have a valid Northwestern University identification card (WildCard) or obtain a Borrower's Card from the Library Privileges Office. See the Northwestern University Library's circulation policies for more information.
Most materials are lent under the following terms:
- NU students and staff: 12 weeks
- NU faculty: 1 year
- Guests: 4 weeks
Exceptions: Some materials are limited to use in the library or are available to faculty only for an abbreviated lending period. Such restrictions are listed below:
Type of Material
Undergraduates, Graduate Students, Staff, & Guests
|Reference Books||Library Use Only||Library Use Only|
|Monument Scores & Collected Editions (M2s & M3s)||Library Use Only||Up to 3 Days|
Sound Recordings* (CDs only)
Students & Staff: 14 days
|NU Performance Recordings||Library Use Only||Library Use Only|
|Rare Materials, Manuscripts, & Special Collections||Library Use Only; By Appointment||Library Use Only; By Appointment|
* LPs circulate to faculty only for 14 days
The majority of the nearly 26,000 CDs are now available to circulate to the Northwestern community. Some individual CDs and CD sets will remain "room use only."
Up to 5 CDs may be checked-out for a loan period of 2 weeks. Overdue items will be charged a $10 fee, and lost items will be assessed and additional $50 fine. Courtesy notices will be sent 2 days prior to the charge due date. Sorry, no renewals.
Up to 10 CDs may be checked-out for a loan period of 2 weeks. CDs are available for delivery to faculty offices.
For alumni and community members:
At this time, CDs will NOT circulate to alumni or members of the non-NU community, with exceptions made for those belonging to an institution with which NU maintains a formal reciprocal borrowing agreement.
- CDs MUST be returned to the Music Library Listening Center. Please refrain from using the drop boxes as CDs can be irreparably damaged.
- CDs will not be loaned via ILL at this time.
- Archival recordings of NU performances are not included in this policy and remain room use only
- LPs and other sound recording formats are not included in this policy, and remain room use only (faculty may continue to charge out LPs)