Explore the Collection
The University Archives' collection includes:
- Archives and Manuscripts Portal: finding aids (guides) to nearly 1,000 collections of papers and records documenting Northwestern University history, student activities, athletics, schools and departments, notable alumni, distinguished faculty and more
- Over 1300 University-generated publications: includes the Daily Northwestern, the Syllabus yearbook, student and staff directories; catalogs and bulletins from each of the University's colleges and schools; departmental annual reports; and athletics, theatre and musical performance programs
- Northwestern University Web Archive: search and explore hundreds of archived websites created by individuals associated with Northwestern, including faculty, staff, students, and alumni, as well as Northwestern-related publications and associated entities within the local community
- Films, video and audio materials
- The Faculty Authors Collection of books by Northwestern faculty
- The Northwestern University History reference collection
- Over 600,000 photographs documenting nearly all facets of campus life.
- Artifacts, from freshman beanies to buttons, banners, and ceremonial shovels.
- Over 10,000 biographical files on past and present faculty and others associated with Northwestern.
- Subject reference files on the history of the University—buildings, events, everyday life.
We also have serial publications, subject files, photographs, and many other items that are not described in the Library catalog or in our finding aids. Please contact the University Archives with any questions about our holdings.
Using the Collection
- Archival materials are non-circulating and must be used in the University Archives Reading Room, 110 Deering Library
- Much of the collection is stored off-site and requires advanced notice for retrieval. As such, we recommend making an appointment to ensure staff and material availability.