Instructors place required and/or recommended materials on Course Reserve for class use.
Physical items, such as books, DVDs and faculty-owned personal copies, can be checked out from the circulation desks at University Library, Mudd Library and Schaffner Library on a shortened loan period.
Digitized items, such as book chapters, journal articles and streamed audio and video, can be accessed through Canvas.
Find Reserve items
Use the search box on our Course Reserve webpage and select the desired Northwestern library using tabs above the search box. You can search by instructor name, course name or department. You can also access the Course Reserve webpage by clicking the Course Reserve tab in the library's catalog, NUsearch.
Access eReserve items in Canvas by clicking "Course Reserves" in the navigation bar of the course for which they were requested.
Pick up Reserve items
Reserve materials are held at the circulation desk at University Library, Mudd Library and Schaffner Library.
Items on Reserve have shortened loan periods and steep overdue fines on ensure that the materials are promptly returned so they may be available to all students.
Instructors can choose one of the following loan periods for their items:
- 2-hour loan (accrues overdue fines of $1 per hour, including overnight hours and other hours the library is closed)
- 4-hour loan (accrues overdue fines of $1 per hour, including overnight hours and other hours the library is closed)
- 1-day loan items must be returned to the Circulation desk before it closes the day after they were checked out (accrues overdue fines of $5 per day)
Reserve items include:
- Books, DVDs and videotapes from most NU libraries
- Personal copies of books, DVDs or other materials
- Tests, class notes and other original works