Reserve Information for Faculty
Course Reserve service allows instructors to set aside books and articles for class use, or to make articles or book excerpts available through Canvas.
Reserve items can be physical or electronic. Physical reserve materials are held at and checked out from the University Library Circulation Desk. eReserve materials may be both requested and accessed through your course site in Canvas.
Guidelines for Reserve materials
The following items can be placed on Reserve.
- Books, DVDs and videotapes from most NU libraries, as well as tests, class notes and other original works.
- Personal copies of books, DVDs or other materials can be used. Reserve staff can also order books and video materials not owned by NU libraries.
- Items obtained through ILL, items held in Special Collections and coursepacks cannot be put on reserve.
- Book excerpts
- Journal or newspaper articles
- Exams, class notes and other unpublished original work
- Items in the public domain can be scanned in its entirety for eReserve upon request. See the University Library's guidelines for providing access to copyright-protected materials.
Instructions for placing items on Reserve
To place items on physical reserve or eReserve, submit your list via Canvas 3 weeks before they are needed for the course.
Help is also available via email at email@example.com or by calling 847-491-7681. For streaming media questions, call 847-467-1985.Back to top