Borrow and Return Items
Circulating items include DVDs, VHS tapes, CDs and cassettes; laserdiscs do not circulate. Each has a call number and bar code. All items are subject to staff-mediated recalls. A recall does not change the original due date of the item.
Loan periods and limits
Each borrower may check out 15 items for a loan period of 7 days. Checked out items are eligible for 4 online renewals.
Fines and fees
The following fines and fees will be applied to overdue and lost items:
- Overdue fines: Faculty are not assessed daily fines. All other borrowers are assessed overdue fines of $1.00 per day per item.
- Replacement fee for lost items: $125 per item, plus $10 lost/processing fee. An item is considered "lost" the 30th day it is overdue. Replacement fees will be automatically waived if an item is returned. All students, faculty and staff must return all media before leaving the University. Bills will be sent for any media that is charged out.
- Holds and blocked privileges: A transcript hold will be placed on a graduate or undergraduate student's record if there is 1 lost status item when the fine/fee deadline at the end of the quarter has passed. All patrons' privileges are blocked when fines and fees reach $100.
Fines and fees can be paid at Circulation desks of Northwestern University libraries that handle fines. All queries regarding fines and fees should be addressed to full-time staff at the Marjorie I. Mitchell Multimedia Center at: 847–491–7770, or through email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Media checked out from the Mitchell Multimedia Center should be returned to the following locations:
- During the Multimedia Center's hours of operation: Return items to our circulation desk located on the 2nd floor of the South Tower of the University Library
- After hours or when the Multimedia Center is closed: Return media to outdoor book drops located near the University Library, or at the Main Circulation Desk on Level 1. In addition, patrons may return items at any time to the Audio-Visual Return slot located next to the Multimedia Center's entrance on the 2nd floor of the library.
Media checked out from main library reserve must be returned to the main circulation desk on Level 1.