Need research help? Our librarians are available to assist you.
Call, email, live chat or just stop by. Note that while our text, email and live chat services are intended for use by Northwestern students, faculty and staff, we will also attempt to answer questions from the general public.
- Email us at email@example.com; questions are usually answered by the next business day.
- Call us at 847-491-7658 or text us at 847-868-9059 during our hours of operation.
- Live chat with a librarian Monday – Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Questions submitted after hours will be answered the following business day.
- Drop in to the University Library's Ask Us desk located in the Information Commons.
Our subject librarians are subject-matter experts who can be contacted for research help, classroom instructions, purchase of library materials and more. Visit our Subject Librarian webpage for contact information and to access our research subject guides.
In-depth research assistance is available through one-on-one research consultations. Complete our online Research Consultation Appointment Request form to get started.
For detailed help in specific areas you may wish to contact the following departments or libraries:
- Art Library
- Galter Library (Health Sciences)
- Government and Geographic Information
- Herskovits Library (African Studies)
- Math Library
- McCormick Library of Special Collections and University Archives
- Mudd Library
- Music Library
- Pritzker Legal Research Center
- Transportation Library
Frequently asked questions
Consult our FAQs for answers to common questions across a variety of topics.