Classrooms and Study Spaces
In addition to our galleries and computer labs, our libraries are home to classrooms and spaces for studying and video viewing.
Reserve a study room or carrel
Students and others may book or apply for certain Library spaces.
Graduate students, faculty and certain undergraduates can apply for year-long use of a desk in the University Library.
Collaborative area with day-use lockers, white boards, moveable chairs and tables, and screen sharing options.
- 1South: first floor, south tower, University Library
- Core: second floor, north tower, University Library
- Information Commons: first floor, University Library
- Active Learning Classrooms 2210 and 2124, second floor, Mudd Library
- Mudd Library Commons, second floor, Mudd Library
Quiet study areas with study tables and individual comfy seats. Closed study carrels in the research towers are reserved for graduate students and faculty.
- Periodicals and Newspapers reading room: first floor, University Library
- Research towers: third, fourth, and south tower of the fifth floor, University Library
- Art Library and Architecture Reading Room: third floor, Deering Library
- North Study Lounge, second floor, Mudd Library
Students, faculty and staff can apply for assigned lockers in University Library or store personal items in day-use lockers in University Library and Mudd Library.
Seminar rooms are located in University Library and can be reserved Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm through the Registrar's Office.
Active learning classrooms
Equipped with multiple projections screens and flexible furniture, the active learning classrooms are designed for interactive, student-centered learning experiences. Rooms can be reserved by Northwestern faculty and graduate students.
- Innovation Lab (University Library, B183)
- Mudd 2210 (Mudd Library, Level 2)
- Mudd 2124 (Mudd Library, Level 2)
Video viewing rooms
Faculty, staff and verified teaching assistants (TAs) can schedule one of our three video viewing rooms for use by Northwestern classes and groups:
- Forum Room (Level 2 South)
- Seminar Room 3746 (Level 3 South)
- Mitchell Multimedia Video Theater (Level 2 South)
Receptions and events
Northwestern University faculty, administration and Library staff can reserve the Ver Steeg Faculty Lounge for special receptions and other formal social events.
Drinks and catered food can also be served at the Student Lounge on the 2nd floor's South Tower, where 6' panel tables can also be reserved and set up.