Books and serials
Materials are located in the Martin Reading room, with the exception of architecture materials which are shelved in the adjacent Architecture Reading Room. Books and serials are shelved according to the Dewey Decimal system (the arts are the 700s), and since 2014, materials have been classified in Library of Congress (Art and architecture are classified in the Ns).
Materials in both the Martin Reading Room and the Architecture Reading Room are shelved in three sizes.
- Regular-sized books have labels displaying the call number.
- Large books appear with the designation "L" or "Large" in front of the call number.
- Very large materials are called "Folios" and appear with an "F" or "Folio." Art and Architecture Reference books are located to the right of the reference desk in the Martin Reading Room, and on the low shelves along the west wall in the Architecture Reading Room.
See our map for more detailed locations of materials.
Art materials in other library locations
- Current issues of art journals/periodicals are located in the Periodicals and Newspapers Reading Room in the University Library.
- Many art and architecture books are also stored in the library's high-density storage facility, the Oak Grove Library Center, in Waukegan, IL. Users may request these materials with a 24-hour turnaround period.
- Some rare and/or fragile art materials are located in Special Collections, next door to the Art Library on the third floor of Deering.
- African art books, posters and other visual materials are housed in the Melville J. Herskovits Library of African Studies in the University Library.
- Art and architecture videos and films are located in the University Library's Mitchell Multimedia Center.
- Some titles with call numbers 701 (Philosophy of fine and decorative arts) and 711 (Area planning - civic art) are housed in the University Library on Level 3 South.