Maps and GIS
Northwestern University Libraries’ Geospatial Services offers all NU affiliated students, faculty & staff the following:
- Use of the Geospatial and Data Visualization lab in Mudd Library 2122, equipped with four high performance PCs for geospatial and data visualization work;
- Expertise on the application of GIS to a variety of disciplines and using a range of software applications;
- Individual GIS project consultations involving map creation and geospatial analysis;
- GIS instruction through general and custom workshop offerings;
- Assistance with formatting for data collection and preparing data for analysis;
- Assistance with access and location of data sources.
Two GIS professionals are on staff to provide GIS support and instruction. Assistance is regularly provided to researchers from across academic disciplines. Contact us to set up a consultation.
Map and Rare Atlas Collection
The Map and Rare Atlas Collection is composed of over 200,000 maps, however, only a small portion is searchable via the library catalog, NUsearch. Considering many rare maps are not cataloged, they will require additional time to identify and retrieve for use.
Our collection also includes atlases, gazetteers and digital mapping products. The scope of the collection is global with a large portion of U.S. Federal Government holdings. We also collect cartographic publications from state and international governments and commercial publishers.
To make an appointment to view the map collection, complete the Map & Rare Atlas Request Form.
If you'd like to make a reproduction of a map or rare atlas, complete the Map & Rare Atlas Reproduction Agreement form.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.