School of Police Staff & Command (SPSC) Information Literacy Resources
This page was created by the Transportation Library for students and instructors of the Northwestern University Center For Public Safety's School of Police Staff and Command. See a schedule of current and upcoming SPSC classes.
SPSC Information Literacy Class
Onsite and off-campus SPSC students participate in an information literacy class during the first week of each term for an introduction to the library and to learn about finding sources for Staff Studies. The class is typically three hours long and includes instruction on search strategies, conducting library research, evaluating information, and demonstrations of library and criminal justice databases. Following class, an optional library tour is offered. Access the course PowerPoint presentation.
Reference services for SPSC students
Reference services are available Monday – Friday between 8:30 am and 5 pm. Students may drop in, call, orcontact us in advance to schedule an individual research consultation. Contact Rachel Cole, Reference Librarian, at email@example.com or 847-491-5325.
Students who attend classes on campus at Northwestern University can log in using their NetID and password to request materials that are not held by the Northwestern libraries. Get started.
Students who are enrolled in off-campus SPSC courses have access to Northwestern University Libraries’ collection of over 5 million materials through Interlibrary Loan. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a complete citation for your request. Provide your name, contact information, and SPSC affiliation and course number when submitting your request.
Frequently used resources
- Law Enforcement Research Guide: Electronic databases
- NUsearch: The online catalog of the Northwestern University Libraries
- Transportation Library Collections: A search function in the library's catalog dedicated specifically to Transportation and Law Enforcement materials
- Transportation Articles Database: An index of articles in the Transportation Library's periodicals collection, covering law enforcement, as well as searching limited to Transportation Library's materials within NUsearch.
- NCJRS Document Database: A web-accessible database containing summaries of criminal justice literature, government reports, journal articles, books and more.