Out-of-Town Visitor Resources
Our libraries and collections welcome individual scholars and groups from around the country and the world.
To make the most efficient use of your time, please consult with library staff regarding your research needs, and make an appointment prior to visiting campus. Some materials are stored offsite and require extra time for retrieval.
You can begin exploring our collections online, using the Archives and Manuscripts Collections Portal or in NUsearch, the Libraries' catalog. In addition, some collections often have additional finding aids or resource lists not available electronically. See our Libraries and Collections to learn about specific collections and find contact information.
General procedures include:
- A photo ID is required to enter Northwestern University Libraries.
- Laptop computers are allowed. Wireless network access and Guest NetIDs for access to secure online resources are available.
- Photocopying, scanning, and photography are allowed for research purposes. Photocopiers and scanners are available in our special collections. Advance requests for reproductions may be submitted online. Learn more about reproduction services.
- Pens, food, and drink are not allowed when consulting many special collection resources.
If you are flying to the area, both O’Hare (northwest of Chicago) and Midway (on the south side of Chicago) International Airports service international and domestic flights.
Information regarding travel and directions to campus can be found on the University's Visiting Campus webpage, which includes maps, driving directions and public transit options on the CTA and Metra. Local taxi companies (neither contracted nor officially endorsed by Northwestern University Libraries) include 303 Taxi, American Taxi and Northshore Cab.
You can park on campus or in the city of Evanston.
- Parking on campus requires a temporary permit. More information may be found the Parking and Transportation website. Daily (same day) parking permits can be purchased at an automated kiosk (credit card sales only) on the north end of campus (on LARC Drive #108), between the Sports and Aquatic Center and the Frances Searle building. Visit the Evanston Campus parking map.
- Evanston street parking is hourly paid, with a strictly-enforced ticketing policy. Evanston parking garages are also available.
Some local accommodation options include:
- Holiday Inn North, 1501 Sherman Avenue, Evanston, IL
- Hotel Orrington (Hilton Orrington/Evanston), 1710 Orrington Avenue, Evanston, IL
- Hilton Garden Inn, 1818 Maple Avenue, Evanston, IL
- Homestead Inn (single/double rooms or monthly apartment rentals), 1625 Hinman Avenue, Evanston, IL
On campus, dormitory-style accommodations are available through:
- Garrett Theological Seminary (with some guest room and private bath availability),
If you are in search of necessities or dining options in the Evanston area, don't hesitate to ask our staff. Below, vendors are listed for your convenience (and are not officially endorsed by Northwestern University or Northwestern University Libraries).
Grocery stores and pharmacies:
- Whole Foods, 1640 Chicago Avenue, Evanston
- Trader Joe’s, 1211 Chicago Avenue, Evanston
- Jewel-Osco grocery store and pharmacy, 1128 Chicago Avenue, Evanston
- CVS Pharmacy, 1711 Sherman Avenue, Evanston
- On-campus options: Norris University Center or the University Library's Café Bergson. Visit the Northwestern Dining site for hours and a list of other locations.
More dining information can be found through the Evanston Chamber of Commerce.