Visitor Access Policy
Northwestern community members
Northwestern University students, faculty, staff and affiliates, including members of Garrett Evangelical Theological Seminary, have access to the Libraries at all open hours as listed at the Libraries' website.
Affiliates of Northwestern
Affiliates of Northwestern may enter the Libraries during all open hours by showing a valid alumni or staff card, and by registering as an affiliate with a valid photo ID. To register, these individuals must present a current and valid institutional ID, as well as one of the following pieces of photo identification: driver’s license, state ID card, passport or military ID. Registered patrons will be given a barcode to use to enter the building which will expire at the end of the day’s public hours.
Affiliates who may enter with an alumni card or staff ID:
- Northwestern alumni (with valid alumni card)
- Staff of Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago
- Staff of Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- Staff of Shirley Ryan AbilityLab (formerly called: Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago)
- Staff of Jesse Brown VA Medical Center
Affiliates who may enter with a valid institutional ID:
- Current faculty, staff and students from a Big Ten Academic Alliance University
- Current faculty, staff and students from Loyola University (Chicago)
- Current faculty, staff and students from University of Illinois at Chicago
- Current faculty, staff and students from the University of Chicago
- Current staff from the Art Institute of Chicago
- Current staff from the Newberry Library
The Libraries are open to the general public Monday through Saturday from open to 6:00 pm. Hours may be adjusted for special events.
Users of government depository collections may enter University Libraries during the public access hours.
In all cases, minor children must be accompanied by an adult.
All users of the Libraries must observe the Building Use Policy and other library and university policies.
Last Review: April 2023