Alumni who live in the Chicago area are eligible for borrowing privileges at Northwestern Libraries.
Obtain a Borrower's Card
For borrowing privileges, bring a photo ID and proof of current address to the circulation desk at University Library or Schaffner Library during open hours. You will be asked to fill out paperwork, and staff will verify your alumni status. A card will be issued on the spot.
- $25 per year for alumni with Northwestern degree
- $50 per 3-months for alumni without a Northwestern degree.
- Loan period: 4-week loan period, except for items on reserve for a class, which are not included in this borrowing program. All books are subject to recall with a guaranteed loan period of one week. DVDs and videos from the Mitchell Multimedia Center can be borrowed for 7 days.
- Renewals: Items can be renewed three times, either in person or via NUsearch, the online library catalog system. After the third remote renewal, books must be brought in to start a new loan.
- Fines, fees and penalties: Northwestern does not charge daily fines on regular loan books, but there is a $1 fine per day for overdue recalled items. Overdue fines for multimedia items accrue at the rate of $2 per day. If a recalled book is overdue, or a regular loan item becomes 30 days overdue, it is considered "lost." A $125 replacement charge and $10 processing fee are applied, and the patron account is blocked from further transactions.
Questions? Contact our Circulation Desk at 847-491-7633.