University Library Level 1
- Check Out Location
- Ask Us
- Computer Lab
- NUSearch Station
- Quiet Areas
John P. McGowan Information Commons
- Located at the entrance to the Library, it is a "first stop" for many students, one where they can engage in independent inquiry or small group study. The comfortable and modular arrangement provides a welcoming social environment.
- In addition to PCs, Macs and standard printers, this space includes media editing software, vocal recording booth, a large format poster printer, scanners and plasma screens to connect to your laptops. Reserve the vocal booth to create a recording or the IC Project Room for group work!
IC Project Room A (1134)Reserve IC Project Room A (1134)
- 1 large table
- 6 rolling chairs
- 1 whiteboard
- 1 Solstice monitor
1 South Project Room B
- 10 chairs
- 2 tables
- Movable furniture
- This is a semi-enclosed space, not suitable for private meetings
1 South Project Room A
- 10 rolling chairs
- 3 rolling tables
- Movable furniture, can configure the space as needed
Welcome DeskThe Welcome desk is the only entrance/exit available to the public for University Library, except in the unlikely event of an emergency. Northwestern students, faculty, staff and affiliates can tap their Wildcard to enter the turnstiles. Guests may enter during public access hours with a valid photo ID.
- An accessible automatic door and elevator is available at the entrances to University Library.
- Provides quick access via stairs to the second floor student lounge, vending machines, and the Forum Room.
Circulation staff are available to help users with all procedures related to checking out and returning materials. Books that have been requested for pickup from the circulation desk are held at this desk.
Course Reserve and Interlibrary Loan materials are also available for pick up here.
- Flexible study space with a wide variety of seating options
- Collaborative study space
- 1 South provides access to reservable study rooms and media:scapes for group screen sharing. Reserve the One Button Studio for presentation practice and recording.
- Reserve the 1South Project Rooms
Periodicals and Newspapers Reading Room
The Periodicals Reading Room holds current issues of more than 2,800 periodical titles. Including more than 200 daily domestic, and international newspapers, such as The Chicago Tribune and a special emphasis on African newspapers. Also includes current general interest magazines and periodicals such as The New Yorker and Rolling Stone.
- Open study space with chairs, tables, and carrels
- Quiet zone
Technology Support CenterIf you are experiencing an issue with your laptop computer or mobile device, stop by the Technology Support Center for Northwestern IT to troubleshoot your issue. For more information on the services provided, or to contact the support center via email or phone, visit their website.
The vocal booth is fully equipped with professional recording technology, including microphones, a mixing board, and a selection of recording software. It is perfect for recording your podcast, a voice over for a video project, or for doing an interview.
Project Room C 1783Reserve 1 South Project Room C (1738)
- Large table
- 6 rolling chairs
- Solstice wireless monitor