Introducing the Libraries Faculty Advisory Committee
Northwestern Libraries are pleased to introduce the Faculty Advisory Committee. Though previously the Libraries had an advisory group that included both faculty and students, this new committee focuses specifically on faculty input and interests. As an advisory group for the Dean of Libraries, the committee will have a key role in making recommendations on policy matters, new initiatives, collections, and services. The committee also serves as formal line of communication between faculty and the Libraries and is part of Dean of Libraries Xuemao Wang’s strategy to include campus input in setting the direction for the Libraries.
The committee’s initial meeting was held on May 23, 2023, after approval of a charter by Provost Kathleen Hagerty. The current chair, appointed by the Provost in consultation with Dean Wang, is Laura Hein, The Harold H. and Virginia Anderson Professor of History in the Weinberg College of Arts & Sciences.
The 2023-2024 roster for the committee is:
- Laura Hein, chair, The Harold H. and Virginia Anderson Professor, History, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences
- Luis Amaral, Erastus Otis Haven Professor, Chemical and Biological Engineering McCormick School of Engineering
- Ryan Dohoney, Associate Professor, Musicology, Bienen School of Music
- Carola Frydman, Harold L. Stuart Professor, Finance, Kellogg School of Management
- Elizabeth Lenaghan, Director and Associate Professor of Instruction, The Cook Family Writing Program, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences
- Mimi White, Professor, Radio/Television/Film, School of Communication
Faculty may reach out to the committee or directly to the Office of the Dean at email@example.com with questions or input.
The Faculty Advisory Committee is only one channel of advisory input for Dean Wang —the Libraries also have begun recruiting student representatives to form a new Student Advisory Committee. Faculty are highly encouraged to nominate undergraduate and graduate students from any discipline and class year.
For more information and to nominate a student representative, please visit Advisory Committees and Boards.