Requesting Unavailable Items
If your materials are unavailable at Northwestern, you may be able to borrow them from another library.
Requesting items from other libraries
NUsearch: You can request a copy from another library directly from within NUsearch. Sign in to your account, and click "ILL @ NU" under Get It.
Other Libraries: If the item you’re looking for isn’t in NUsearch, search other libraries to confirm that the item you’re looking for is available at other libraries. If you find it, you may request it through interlibrary loan.
ILL Form: You may also fill out the ILL request form directly, and we will find the item for you.
How your request is processed
Interlibrary loaned materials are available for varying lengths of time, depending on the library it is borrowed from. We will try to find a copy of your requested item which will be available for the longest loan period.
- All Interlibrary loan requests are searched in UBorrow first, which is our consortial borrowing system of 14 CIC (Big Ten) partners. This provides you a guaranteed 12-week loan period, with the option of a 4-week renewal. DVDs and other special format materials will have shorter periods. Items typically arrive within 6 days.
- If an item is not available in UBorrow, we then use a worldwide Interlibrary Loan (ILL) system to request items from other partner libraries, as well as libraries from around the world. Loan periods vary, but most institutions provide a 60-day loan period and at least a two-week renewal. Items typically arrive in 7 to 10 days.
Pickup of ILL materials
ILL materials can be picked up at the University Library Circulation desk. Please select your pick up location when you initially register for ILL @ NU.
We go to all reasonable lengths to obtain materials for users as quickly as possible and will pay associated fees to lending libraries. It takes an average of 7 to 10 days for loan materials to arrive. Journal articles and book chapters are usually available more quickly.
Delivery of ILL materials
ILL materials can also be delivered to your home address if you cannot travel to campus.
- Sign into your ILL @ NU account.
- Under Tool on the left navigation menu, choose "Change Your Information."
- In the Delivery Location field, choose "Distance Education Student."
- Click "Submit Information."
- Place your request through and type your address in the "Notes" field of the ILL Form.
You may return items via mail. See instructions for returning materials.
Suggest a Purchase
If there is a book, DVD, or journal that you believe should be in Northwestern Libraries' collections, complete the Purchase Suggestion form. The request will be forwarded on to the appropriate subject specialist who will contact you if your item has been purchased.