Research Tools and Guides
Use online tools at the Libraries to further your research.
Familiarize yourself with online tools for conducting research.
Search tools and collection discovery
Find a specific item or source, such as a database or journal.
- NUsearch searches our collection for books, journals, images, articles and multimedia. Items can be placed on hold or requested via NUsearch.
- Databases A-Z lists all Northwestern Libraries databases. Search the list or filter it by database subject, type or vendor.
- Journals A-Z lists all Northwestern Libraries journals. The list of journals is searchable.
- Search other libraries to find items not in the Northwestern collection. Items may be requested via interlibrary loan and delivered to Northwestern.
- Consensus (beta) is an academic search engine that uses artificial intelligence to surface relevant research findings to students' questions.
- Geographic Information System Resources offers software, online tools and more.
- Social Science Data Resources has comprehensive sorted lists of statistics and data resources by subject.
- Northwestern Libraries Search Assistant is a browser add-on to search Northwestern’s Collections, Google Scholar, and other libraries from anywhere on the web. Now available to as an extension to Google Chrome or as an extension to Mozilla Firefox.
- Research Guides are prepared by our subject librarians across disciplines and can include recommended search engines, publications and course information.
- How To Guides instruct patrons on how to use library tools and resources.
- Reference Materials is a compilation of links to online reference materials -- including encyclopedias, database and more -- as well as information about print reference materials at the library.
- Video Tutorials provide quick tips on generating keywords, finding materials, using interlibrary loan and more.